Servicing the cutting units of a John Deere 2653B | Ben
Meet Ben, one of our technicians and cutting unit servicing experts
Ben is one of our service technicians and specialises in servicing the blades of small domestic mowers all the way through to the cutting units of large commercial mowers. With 14 years' experience, if it involves blades then Ben is the right man for the job.
One of the recent jobs Ben has been working on is refurbishing the cutting units for a John Deere 2653B, which is a cylinder mower in John Deere's PrecisionCut range.
We spoke to Ben to find out about the process and the work that goes into a full service and sharpen. Here's a breakdown of the work undertaken, and a before and after picture of the unit.
- Strip down the cutting unit to remove the cylinder and bottom blade
- Clean and paint of the cylinder
- Flat grind and relief grind the cylinder
- Added a new bottom blade and sharpened ready for use
- Full clean of cylinder housing and all components including replacing the bearings and seals
- Freed off cut adjusters
- Replaced front and rear roller bearings and seals
- Fitted new spiral front roller
- Fully reassembled the unit, set the cylinder on cut and set the height of cut as well as greasing all the grease points
John Deere 2653B Reel Mower
Posted: 24 August 2022